Background

Pages

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, April 18, 2016

Ollie Dylan - Our Little Manny

It was a dark and stormy night in December.

No, really!  I'm talking a rainstorm of Biblical proportions!

December 22, two entire days past my due date, I had contractions around 11pm, but when I started timing them, they weren't very close together.  I knew that the baby would be making his/her (because at that point, we still didn't know if Bean was a boy or girl!) appearance very soon.

That morning, I would wake up to contractions, but after timing a few in a row, I would fall back asleep... that is, until about 5 in the morning.   They were coming closer now, and by 6am, I knew it was time to call my doctor, and for James to call Salli to come over to get the boys.  Salli and Grams arrived to get the boys at about 7, and we headed right out the door after James installed the car seats.  I was trying to talk to Salli and Grams, but right when James walked back in, I had a really strong contraction - like an "I can't even talk right now, I need to brace myself" strong.  We grabbed my bag, and drove to Piedmont Fayette.  The maternity ward is right above OB practice I had been going to, so we knew just where to go.

After a very quick check-in at 8 o'clock, I went to a labor and delivery room, only to be moved to another one.  When the nurse checked me, I was already a 6, and the pain was so intense, I actually asked for an epidural.  But the contractions were so close together, and they knew I was progressing quickly, so the opportunity to get pain meds in time went out the window!  The nurse checked me again, and I was at 8cm.  She realized that I was having 'back labor' meaning, Littlest Bean was face down, and to quote Nurse Jackie, "Back labor is no joke."  The contractions were so painful - very different from the other two labors I had experienced.  By the time I was fully dilated, I had called the nurse back in because I felt like I needed to push, but also knew that my water hadn't broken, so the pressure was intense.  Dr. Carter said, "Well, let me break your water, and let's have this baby!"  I immediately changed my mind, crying, saying I didn't want to break my water.  The doctor wasn't 20 feet down the hall, when I had my next contraction, and my water broke!  20 minutes and six pushes later, we met our third amazing son.


December 23, 2015 at 9:25am, Oliver Dylan was born.  He was 7 pounds, 13 ounces, and 19 3/4 inches long.  He had a full head of wavy black hair, and strong lungs.



That night, the rainstorm completely lit up the sky!  The hospital stay was actually pretty great.  I had no idea it was so crazy outside.  I was cozy in my own room, busy ordering meals that were brought to my bedside.  Salli, Dave, and Grams brought the boys to meet him that night, and on Christmas Eve, the Vizzinis and the Poeffels came to see us.  The downside of the hospital stay was that James went home both nights... but it allowed him to rest really well and take care of us with a clear head!

We were discharged on Christmas morning, so we had fun introducing our newest family member to everyone and also opening presents!  The holidays were definitely different.  But in the best way.  We literally did nothing on New Year's.  We went to bed.  I think it should be our new tradition.  Haha!

*  *  *  *  *

Oliver is almost four months old, and it wasn't until now that I was able to find a moment to sit and write all about him.  It's like I have described it to so many people who ask me how I'm doing:  I finally feel like I have my head above water.  Initially, I felt like I was caught in the undertow, in a sea of children.  It's crazy how going from two kids to three is such a huge transition.  But I have finally conceded a lot of things that stressed me out in the beginning.  And I really think the bigger boys are getting into the new groove along with me.

Although I have been way too busy to keep up with blog updates, I have been able to post pictures and write blips on Facebook, etc.  I would like to get back into the routine of updating here.

*  *  *  *  *

For weeks after we were back home, our church family cared for us so well.  Janyl set up a meal train PLUS for us - complete with childcare for my older two, so that I could have time to rest during the day!  Pop came to visit, the weekend after New Year's, and he got to hold Oliver and hang out with the big boys.  He took them to see Hotel Transylvania 2, which they LOVED.  He is supposed to come see us again soon.

The meal train went all the way to February, and my Mom helped us eat some of the meals - and store all of the leftovers!!  It was such a blessing to have her here for the last two weeks of January.  I wish we weren't so far away.  But we are already making plans for our next visit!

Nona and Jas at Cracker Barrel

Nona and her Georgia boys


Miles and Jasper love their baby brother.  Bubs actually gave him a nickname, "Little Manny."  I think it's because I would call Oliver my little man, and Miles made it even cuter.  He goes up to him every morning, and says, "Hello, Little Manny!" in his Bubbas way.  Jasper calls him Little Manny or Li'l Guy.  It's just the best!



Jolly Ollie

  • At almost 4 months, Ollie can turn from his side to his back
  • He has been holding his head up since about two months old
  • He is currently wearing 6m clothes - same size as Miles at this age
  • Oliver is over 12 pounds already
  • His first Easter was so much fun!  We got to spend it with Beth, Clayton, and Callie - and our fam here in GA, of course 
  • Oliver loves to smile, coo, and blow raspberries
  • He laughed for the first time last week!  It was just him and me upstairs, and I can't even remember what I was doing, but he thought it was the funniest thing!!
  • Ollie loves being held, and being outside.  I usually carry him in the sling, just like JasMan
  • I started feeding him one bottle a day, which really helps our family function better.  And he loves it!!

We are still using diapers and wipes from the baby shower Amy organized for us!  It was so much fun, and I am still overwhelmed by the fact that we have not had to buy any diapers for Oliver, or any wipes since November of last year!  I actually donated a bunch of newborn size diapers when he grew out of them!!



The great thing about having three boys is the hand-me-down situation.  It's been really cool seeing Jasper wearing the shirts Miles wore, back when Jas was the baby.  The boys are all 2 1/2 years apart!  We also got a ton of clothes from our friends, the Goverts, whose sons are 4 (almost 5) and 1 - so they have a ton of cute things to hand down to Ollie!  They also have two girls, so we would have been set either way.  :)

I am so excited to see how God will work in Oliver's life.  I know that our lives are enriched by Ollie's presence in our family.  He is our cuddlebug, and every single one of us loves to kiss his round face!  Being so very outnumbered has kept me humble, and I have grown in the area of asking for help.  I am also learning to plan ahead, have realistic expectations for myself (and my husband and kids!), and let go of the little stuff.  And this is just the beginning!

The many faces of Ollie Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment