Background

Pages

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Planning for Peanut

Home sweet home birth...



That's right, we are planning to birth Peanut at home. I told you country living is wild! Really though, this is just how God planned it all along. It's funny (not funny 'ha ha...' more like funny - dumb) moving from a state that provides health care without question, to a state where you have to wait 10 business days for a program called "Right from the Start Medicaid," and I still haven't received any notification of any free medical care...

It's just different here, is all. And in all honesty, I don't feel right signing up for Medicaid when God provided us money from the sale of our home. So we were presented with the idea of planning a home birth with a midwife - and not just any midwife, mind you, but a good friend of James' mom, and she also 'caught' the pastor's baby at the church we've been visiting! It was really great to talk to his wife, and get her take on what a home birth is like, and I have to say, I'm really excited about all of this!

Sure, I had it in my head that the state would just take care of me, and take care of baby as well, but thinking back to the birth-prep class we took before Miles was born, what I really wanted back then was a more natural labor and delivery than what RCH could possibly provide. This time, I get to move around as I please, wear what I want, and sleep in my own bed with my hubs and new baby! I won't have to pack a bag, and I'll get to eat good food!

At first, our decision was fueled by the fact that Medicaid didn't come through, and that even though I obviously qualify, I really wanted to attend my prenatal appointments and well-mama checkups. However, the overall cost of an OB and hospital care is way more than having Tanya (our midwife) do all of the prenatal, labor & delivery, and postnatal stuff!

I think what has really helped us to feel great about the decision is the huge amount of encouragement we've received from friends and family! Salli has been wonderful, and is excited for her friend to deliver the newest grandbaby... The moms I met at church that had Tanya deliver their babies were excited and told me to go for it! And having Sam's experience last year as a reference really helped. I love that my best friend planned her home birth as a first time Mom, and that she was so open to share anything and everything about it with me! I knew I wanted to have a medication-free delivery this time, but I had no idea that this is how it was going to pan out.

We've got the birth kit scheduled to arrive today via UPS, and we pretty much finished shopping for all of the other supplies. I guess I figure I'm in really great company. It doesn't say in the Biblical text, but it sure seemed like Mary and Joseph didn't plan to have Jesus in a stable - and I'm sure she wasn't exactly comfortable riding a donkey while she was in labor! - but God provided everything they needed. I can confidently say that God is providing more than we need right now, and that with this child will come even more provision. And most of all, His presence is carrying me, as I am carrying this baby.

*  *  *  *  *
Some Updates

  • I'll be 38 weeks this Friday, so it is literally any day now. In fact, Miles came on the 38 week mark!
  • Peanut loves to kick me in the ribs where Miles used to do pull-ups
  • No cravings that are different than my usual comfort foods:
    • ice cream
    • nachos - with lots of jalapeƱos 
    • veggies and hummus
    • cinnamon toast (and a tall glass of milk)
  • I've been experiencing Braxton-Hicks contractions a lot - the ones that come in the weeks prior to labor. I don't mind them because
    1. They don't hurt
    2. I know they are not labor contractions, and
    3. I know they are making my muscles stronger
  • We're trying to figure out how to rearrange our bedroom for Peanut to join us, as the third room upstairs has music equipment and our boxes in there. I mean, newborns don't take up that much space, but I'm definitely in nesting mode.


I have a photo-update to come very soon, and lots of fun Miles stories to post!!  It's just a matter of uploading the pictures from my phone to my blog.  The application seems to have to think for a long time!  Until then, we appreciate your prayers (as always).

3 comments:

  1. You are so brave!!! I am so excited for you! I will be praying for a safe delivery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elise! We're really excited, and are so thankful for your prayers! :D

      Delete
    2. I saw this today and it made me think of you and the peanut! It is a good read!

      http://www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/we-had-a-baby-and-here-is-our-unusual-story

      Delete