Background

Pages

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, April 4, 2011

Presenting...

 MILES YOSSARIAN BROWN
born March 29, 2011
at 2:04PM
Weight:  6 pounds, 14 ounces
Length:  18.5 inches

By the previous post, it's obvious that Miles was an early surprise!  He's now 6 days old, and Mommy & Daddy's joy.  Here's the story of how he came into the world...  Here's the story, pictures to follow.

3/28/11
It was my first day back to work after Spring Break.  It was a busy day, but a good one.  It was nice to see my students, and get back in gear.  "One week left," I kept reminding myself, when things got challenging.  Leave was scheduled to start on April 4th.

*5:00PM 
I got home to see James, and told him about my day.  We had our last childbirth prep class that night, and he was getting the salad ready for our potluck.  As it turned out, (sorry if this grosses you out...) I passed my mucus plug right when I got home.  I told James, and called my Mom, as well.  But after reading up on the subject at BabyCenter.com, I decided it wasn't anything to worry about, and that it might still be up to a week before the Baby came.

*6:30PM  
Our last childbirth prep class was good.  We had a potluck and watched more videos.  We also talked about newborns and what to expect.  I had one contraction at 

*8:45PM  
I had a contraction, but related it to the Braxton-Hicks variety... the kind that is getting my body ready, but aren't the 'serious' ones.  I had had these before, never to be followed up by another that same day.

*11:18PM  
Another contraction...  hmm.  I told my Mom about my 2 contractions.  She said, "No, I don't think it's time.  You haven't 'dropped' enough yet."  True.  I went to bed.


3/29/11
*3:15AM  
I woke up to a very strong, very different kind of contraction.  The ones I had the night before felt like my abs getting hard, and it wasn't at all painful.  This one was an entirely different sensation.  It felt like pressure and pain at the bottom of where the baby was.  It lasted about 40 seconds and then I went back to sleep.

*3:52AM 
By this time, I had been waking up and James was waking up with me.  I had 4 contractions since the first one, and he realized they were about 6-7 minutes apart.  He started writing the times down for me.  Though one more came 6 minutes later, the next one didn't come for 13 minutes.  We didn't want it to be 'false labor,' so I looked it up on the internet and in my baby book and tried to go back to bed.

*5:24AM  
Okay, now they're coming about 7-9 minutes apart.  We're still monitoring them, but I did not want to drive all the way to RCH only to be told to go back home.  They felt the same, but they were manageable.  I kept saying, "It's not time, yet."  Still, I didn't want to  be sleep deprived at work so I called off, just in case.

*6:42AM
I let James get some rest and walked downstairs, still monitoring the time of each contraction.  They stayed about 6-7 minutes apart for the next hour or so.  I played Katamari Forever, pausing to stand up and moan or breathe whenever I needed to.  My Mom left for work at 7, and Matthew came down a bit later - he's on Spring Break.  James came downstairs at about 7:45.

*8:11AM
Now I'm watching Saved By the Bell, and it's two back-to-back clip show episodes.  By now, I've had at least 2 instances where my contractions are 5 minutes apart.  Hmmm.. getting closer to it being time.  By now, things are getting more and more real.

*8:27AM
Wait a minute, my last contraction was at 8:23 - that was 4 minutes ago.  James and I head upstairs to make sure that the labor bag is packed, and that we have everything we need.  "Matthew, call Mom and let her know we're heading to the hospital."  The contractions are getting more intense now.

*9:22AM
Packed up and ready to go, we head to the car, my water bottle in hand, birth ball in the back seat, and drive off to RCH.  At this point some of my contractions are 3 minutes apart!

*9:35AM
We get to RCH, head upstairs to Labor & Delivery, and thank the Lord we pre-registered!  Still, there was one paper I needed to sign, and I was already leaning on the counter in order to breathe through any contractions I was having.  "Sign here."  Scribble, scribble, inhale, exhale...

*10:00AM
I was admitted when Nurse Sherae checked me, and I was already dilated to 4cm.  Holy mackerel!  If it wasn't real before, it's showtime!  Nearly halfway there, I get into my lovely gown and we call my Mom.  She showed up an hour later.

*  *  *  *  *
The labor was relatively short, especially considering the fact that we spent all of the early labor at home.  James was really good at keeping me relaxed in between contractions, breathing with me.  During contractions, I leaned on him, and tried to focus.  My Mom was really great when contractions got intense, making me focus and breathe better so I wouldn't get light-headed.  They were wonderful in the delivery room, keeping me going with cheers and encouragement.
*  *  *  *  *

*2:04PM
The most amazing thing happened.  After spending about 15-20 minutes pushing, I prayed during the last two or three pushes.  And I gave birth to our son, Miles Yossarian.  He's the most beautiful person I've ever seen, though a little blue at first.  James was gazing at him, and named him Miles.  Then he got to cut the cord while our little one was laying on me.  My Mom was so excited and crying, I was dopey because of the stadol, but definitely overcome by emotion.  I had 'freckles' from pushing - blood vessels that had broken under the skin on my face, neck and shoulders.  But that didn't matter.  All I wanted to do was see my baby.

By the time I was more aware, the doc had stitched me up, and Miles had his first bath.  He did not like it, even under the warming lamp with Nurse SherrySue.  I got to hold him and feed him for the first time.  He took to nursing really well for a guy who was only a few hours old.  Michelle came to visit with the kids, though Sophia and Phillip couldn't come up because they're under 14.  Austin stayed with them in the waiting room.  Ema was in between classes at RCC, so she got to come by and hold Miles, too.

After recuperating in the delivery room for a few hours, they moved us to a cramped postpartum room.  I got to ride on this weird chair thing that the nurse pushed.  The room was already occupied by a Mom & her baby, Xavier, who were recovering from a C-section delivery that morning.  It was the most congested hospital room ever, with two moms, two babies, two daddies, Mom, Ema and all the equipment.  But I was happy to be with everyone, especially James & Miles, healthy and waiting for lunch to arrive.

The stay wasn't too bad, and the food was decent.  That night, Mike came to visit, and after my Mom left, James and I shared a meal after Miles had his.  It was so great to spend time with our newest addition, just the three of us.  Sam & Harry got to come by, as well, and prayed for us.  It was wonderful to see them and pray with them.  I'm so thankful for all the love we've experienced already.  Miles is so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends.

*  *  *  *  *

3/30/11
I took advantage of having room service and ordered yummy breakfast and lunch before going home.  Michelle came early and brought me a jamba juice!  Yeah!  It was tasty.  James & Matthew came shortly after that, and stayed with me until we were discharged by Dr. Mba.


We were discharged at 3PM and got home around 4.  It felt good to be home, and see the nursery set up.  Everyone did a wonderful job setting it up the night before.  Michelle brought Austin, Sophia and Phillip to come and see their cousin Miles for the first time.  So sweet!  Ema came over, though I slept for most of her visit.  That night, James, Miles and I fell asleep watching Dumbo.


*  *  *  *  *


More updates to come, this is certainly a long post!

2 comments:

  1. Aww Meemo! I almost started crying reading all of this. I am so happy for you and James and Miles. I love you guys sooooo much! My mom said she and my dad might come visit today. They were actually in New York the past four days. She said they'll call you first. :) Have a great day, and get some rest! When Miles is a little older, I'd love to treat you to a mani/pedi. Talk to you soon!


    <3 Emskii

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Emskii - Thanks love! I almost start crying (or actually do) when I read this again, too. We love you bunches, and can't wait to see you again. It was great to see your parents yesterday, it sounded like they had a blast in NY. They took a few pics with Miles, and he was sound asleep, loving being held. And I am in dire need of a pedi, let me tell you!

    ReplyDelete