Background

Pages

Lilypie Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Telling the Fam

I wanted to do another quick flashback of how and when we told our families.


August 14-15, 2010


One week after I told James, we got the pregnancy confirmed at the doctor's office.  We told James' family first, calling them and telling each person the news.  It was so much fun.  It was great to hear everyone screaming with excitement and congratulations.  Naomie was hilarious because James got a hold of her at home when she answered the phone.  For those of you who haven't had the privilege of meeting Naomie, she is James' lovely 9-year-old niece.  He asked her if she was sitting down.  When she said no, he said, "Well, go get a chair."  We could hear it dragging on the floor in the background.  After she was sitting, James said, "Marilyn and I are gonna have a baby!"  Naomie shouted, "COOOOOOOL!"  It was darling.  But the part that was even better was after he was done talking to Naomie, he asked her to give the phone to Grandma, and we could hear Naomie saying, "Okay, Grandma, you have to sit down."


Priceless!


We told my family the next day, and it worked out that almost everyone was able to make it to dinner at Olive Garden.  


James and I called ahead and printed out special dessert menus for the family.  The manager and server were super nice and helpful!  And even though the *special* menu looked nothing like the ones they have in the restaurant, my Mom had no idea that there was something on it that she needed to see.  In fact, as we were finishing up our dinner, everyone was so full that they said they didn't want dessert!


James and I quickly said, "No, we'd like to see your dessert menu," and the server brought out our printed sheets and laid them face down on the table in front of each person.  Mark already knew something was up, but he was so good, making sure that my Mom found out on her own.  She was hilarious because she said, "I don't think I want anything, I'm so full," and she set her dessert menu down without looking at it carefully.  


We all sat there, sort of waiting, and smiling at each other... until finally Mark said, "Mom, I think you should look at all the desserts before deciding."


So she looked a little closer.
In the lower left-hand corner was a new addition to the menu:

She finally read it and looking up, said, "Oh, you're pregnant?!"  And James and I said, "Yeah!"  She jumped out of her chair, screamed and ran over to give us hugs.  

I had to take Nanay by the arm, and point it out to her.  It was so adorable.  I love my Grandmother.  Matthew and Mike were at the far end of the table.

Jon and Bryan were there, too.


Since Michelle wasn't able to make it for dinner, James and I drove over to tell her that night.



It took Sophia a minute to figure it out, but Michelle knew as soon as she read the menu.  Even Austin needed me to say, "I'm pregnant!" before he was sure what it meant!


It wasn't even a week before Michelle & my Mom were busy with baby shower planning...


*  *  *  *  *


And now I'm already 26 weeks... a.k.a. 6 months along!  It's gone by so fast.  More to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment